Inspection Cruise: Day #9: The End of the Cruise... Exploring Montreal... One Thing That Was Missing: YOU and the SMITTY C
Learn more about this series of blogs by Michael's manager here.
Day #9: The End of the Cruise... Exploring Montreal... One Thing That Was Missing: YOU and the SMITTY Crew...
- A few final thoughts about the last stop - Montreal.
WOW! What an amazing city. Montreal is really two distinct cities. There is Montreal.
and there is Old Montreal. Even Old Montreal can be divided into a couple of different areas: There is Old Montreal and there is the Waterfront.
If at all possible you should try to arrive in Montreal a day early. It would be a shame to only see the airport and the port.
Old Montreal is similar to Quebec in that there are parts of the old city where you are completely surrounded by buildings that would lead you to believe you are in France - hundreds of years ago. Absolutely beautiful.
There almost aren't words to describe the Cathedral of Notre Dame. I'm going to attach a picture or two because I'm wholly incapable of doing it justice with words. I've been fortunate to travel many places in Europe even the Vatican - but I don't think I have ever been so overwhelmed with the beauty of a church as I was here.
If your time is limited in Montreal - I'd recommend Notre Dame
.and then Old Montreal. Then try and allow enough time to spend a bit of time renting a pedal car and drive around the waterfront. IF you can come in a day early - - - go to the Cirque du Soleil show at the permanent tent at the pier. It's a great show!
I'll post another entry (eventually) outlining "Chaz's Tips For A Perfect Trip" with suggestions of what excursions you might want to consider. Because we are a family of 5 and excursions can tend to be expensive we have become "experts" on getting the most experience without spending the most money!!! For example in Montreal there are bike racks all over the city. You can insert your credit card take a bike ride for as little or as long as you like return it to ANY bike rack (not just the one where you got it) - all for between $5 and about $15.00!!!
I'll sign off my travel-log here by saying I am truly blessed. I get to take a "trip of a life-time" twice! And as exciting as this one was - - I can't wait to experience it with you all. Truth is - a River Cruise on a Pontoon Boat with you all would be fun but THIS cruise with Lighthouses, history, Old-World flavor, beautiful sights, etc really WILL be a trip of a life-time for me.
I can't wait to cruise with you! If you have any specific questions let me (or Derek) know (write to us here: derek(a)michaelwsmith.com) and we'll do our best to answer them (also our friends @ inspiration cruises are available to answer any "booking-related" question that you may have - call them @ 1.800.247.1899 or visit their website (www.inspirationcruises.com). And, again, please remember that this cruise WILL sell out. There is already limited space in some of the categories. So, if you are considering this trip, please let me encourage you to respond ASAP. You'll guarantee your tickets and, with this much time to plan, you'll be able to shop and land incredible prices on flights, too.
Bless you all. Thanks for letting me share my experience with you!
- DIG DEEP ABOUT TOPICS IN THIS ENTRY:
- MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA: GO HERE
- HOLLAND AMERICA'S MS MAASDAM: GO HERE
- MICHAEL W. SMITH CRUISE & BOOKING INFO: GO HERE
- READ THE PREVIOUS DAYS BLOG HERE:
- Day 1: Arriving in Boston and Getting Started...
- Day 2: Leaving Boston... Exploring the MS Maasdam...Pulling into Bar Harbor, Maine
- Day 3: Yesterday in Halifax, Nova Scotia... Today arriving in Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Day 4: Halifax, Nova Scotia... Pulling Into Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Day 5: Sydney, Nova Scotia... Arriving in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Day 6: Exploring Charlottown, PEI... Cruising Into The St. Lawrence Seaway
- Day 7: All Day On the St. Lawrence Seaway... Arriving in Quebec City, Quebec
- Day 8: Exploring Quebec City, Quebec... The Final Night on the Ship... Arriving in Montreal.